There were some things missing from our story, featured on OWN Saturday night, 3/3/12. Angie and I have a powerful story of marriage transformation, but the most important elements are these:
1. Our faith was the deciding factor in divorce NOT being an option for us
2. We prayed for a solution, and the Lord healed our marriage
3. The Lord led us to Relationship Education, which empowered Angie and I with the tools to communicate better; forgive; resolve conflict; share our feelings; really listen to one another; begin to speak and listen in new ways
4. After our marriage was restored, we founded a non-profit organization, Marriage & Family Works in Bradenton, FL to help other couples. So far, over 2500 couples have strengthened their marriages through the services of Marriage &Family Works. Our volunteers have logged up to 300 volunteer hours per month. (www.marriageworksforyou.com)
5. Today, Angie and I regularly coach approximately 30 couples per month in improving their own marriages; we also have created a seminar called The Marriage Breakthrough, which we take on the road.
6. Angie and I still struggle at times (who doesn't?) but our "True North" is The Love Chapter, from the Bible, 1 Corinthians 13..."Love is patient, love is kind...love is not rude, or self-seeking, love never quits."
I'd like to share comments about the UNFAITHFUL show that we received from Jeff Williams, a friend and Professional Clinical Counselor:
Dear Don and Angie,
We respect your courage to tell your story publicly, and we commend your obedience to every prompt from the Lord to make his healing and reconciliation possible for others.
We have never heard the intimate details of your story before last night, so we cannot comment on the accuracy. However it was a story clearly told though edited more to keep viewers attention than to detail the antecedents of the affair and all of the curative factors and ingredients that contributed to your healing.
In a sentence, we thought it was very good, as far as it went. For that reason, we hope that you will produce additional video yourselves to tell the rest of the story.
The summary was understandably simplistic since this was made for television; Don's introduction to hypersexuality by his father, and Angie's molestation. Sadly what they did not allow was any comments you made about the contribution of your faith, relationship education, and the agency you birthed to make these solutions available to many others.
We do think the story was respectfully told and did not Unnecessarily make you a spectacle. Overall it seemed a great illustration of the insidious nature of Sin; the sin of others against us, us against our selves, one another and the inevitable consequences. Scripture came to mind "you cannot scoop burning coals into your lap without getting hurt, and "there is a way that seems right to man but the path leads to death."
May God bless you, and protect both of you and your spirits and your relationship. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ.
With love and blessings, Jeff and Jill
Jeff Williams, Supervising Professional Clinical Counselor
Master Coach and Coach Trainer